I would suggest The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen and The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer.

Hi all,

A friend of mine works at a school that spends a lot of time trying to engage
reluctant and struggling readers. He started a reading club for his eighth
graders, featured the book Twilight, and attracted a lot of kids. The catch:
all girls, of course. So now my friend is looking for a sci fi book or sci fi
series that will attract some of the boys in his target group. Any ideas?
Remember I'm looking for eighth grade interest but maybe a bit lower in terms
of reading level.
Thanks in advance!

Kelly W
CT