From: Dwight Delahunt <dwight.delah...@ottawacatholicschools.ca>
Subject: [MOSAIC] Seeking Help
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org

HI folks,
I am a principal of a K-6 school in Ottawa Ontario.
A central initiative in this district is to develop a SMART goal related to
comprehensive Literacy. For varied reasons we chose to focus upon the
comprehension strategy of Inferring. My colleagues have had extensive
opportunities to explore Mosaic and
7Keys.
We are required to establish baseline data, mid-point data and summative data
for a 6 - ~8 week focus on this strategy.
While no strategy is taught in isolation and inferencing falls into several
categories from word meaning to attitudes, actions, effects etc.it is a real
challenge to develop a fomative and summative assessment that is valid, reliable
and capable of
revealing stages of understanding. I have looked at simple multiple choice
approaches, cloze procedures, short response and essay items. I have seen
different rubrics to guide assessment. I need to get beyond the true/false -
fill in the blank and
multiple choice format to a more discriminating assessment.
If anyone can offer some direction or share their experience I would be very
grateful
with thanks
Dwight Delahunt

dwight.delah...@ottawacatholicschools.ca

      Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now
http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/?p1=other&p2=au&p3=tagline