I know you meant ballot, not ballet. LOL, my schema went out on a tangent
with the spelling goof. Had to chuckle at myself.

-----Original Message-----
From: mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of Ljackson
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 6:05 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Literature grps.

I have only direct experience implementing with second grade.  I began with
one or two lit circle groups at a time, as not all 2nd graders are ready for
this at the same time.  I did always maintain journaling requirements during
the reading and really participated as a reader during the first rounds.
One classroom tradition established was that final celebration included
discussion and treats (fruit juice and cookies), as our model was adult book
clubs.  Only members who had met the group's established goals and deadlines
were in on this party, which took place in the classroom during literacy
block. Then we did literature circles with the whole class.  I offered lots
of choices on a ballet that included a description of each book along with
recommendations to give some clue as to reading levels. For example:

Cam Jansen and the Triceratops Mystery--

Cam and her best friend Eric are at again, this time solving a mystery in a
local museum.  If you are a Cam Jansen fan or a young Cam Jansen series
reader who is ready for more, this is the book for you!

Kids took the ballets home and had a day or two to think through their
choices, network with friends that they might want to read with and then
they indicated their top three choices in 1-2-3 order. Doing this mean I
could have a decision-making role and veto choices I knew were not going to
work out. I was also willing to negotiate with teams when the book might not
be an obvious match for readers.  For example, once I had two buddies who
wanted to read the Magic Tree House book with the dinosaurs. For one the
book was a real walk in the park (thinking reading level only) and for the
other, the book was a HUGE push.  The two of them had really thought it out,
with the stronger reader pointing out that he wasn't much of a fiction
reader (true) and that his teacher (me) was always promoting series reading
as a way to strengthen your reading muscles by getting to know characters
(true again) and that he would be able to help his friend with nonfiction
parts (meaning the content area info that they read from the book).  The
other reader was ready as well because he pointed out that the story was
easier than the nonfiction parts and that his friend could help him with the
hard parts.  The two of them, and a third friend who was an obvious fit for
the book, had a very successful experience reading this book and we jokingly
referred to them as the reading Musketeers. By the end of the year, they
were reading Time Warp Trio and it was a good move for all three of them.

Lori Jackson
 District Literacy Coach and Mentor
 Todd County School District
 Box 87