Hi Ellen,
I am in Michigan too and have 28 students, also in a Title One school. We
are doing MLPP required 4-5 times a year and more as needed. We have all been
trained in DIBELS, but only the literacy coach uses it on kids that are not
developmentally ready to learn yet. I say it that way because I believe all
children want to learn, some just aren't quite ready yet.

Which brings me to another thing I wanted to mention.  Recently  in one of
those rare spare moments at home, I caught an episode of John and Kate  plus 8.
They have sextuplets, for those who haven't see it, meaning that they  all
come from the same parents, have the same environment and are in the same
preschool. In the episode I was watching, the children were trying to ride
their
two wheelers without training wheels. Only one of the six could do it and he
took off like lightning. The others were all having different problems, one
with
 balance, one with pedaling, one with nerves etc. I thought it was a perfect
example of the need to teach in a developmentally appropriate manner  with
young children. DIBELS however reflects the idea that all children learn in
the
same way at the same time.

Nancy

In a message dated 1/17/2009 9:21:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,