We have been doing DIBELS to check progress since long before they had a
website, additional progress monitoring materials were not available, and we
used the same readings 3 times a year. I share that because we have done the
whole pendulum swing thing. Before we had Reading Recovery in the building,
speed was the focus. With 2 of us (along with others) pushing and pulling we
got that turned around to, the reading should be fluent enough to make sense
and sound right. We tell the kids that if they are too fast, the time on
that reading will not be counted. It is easy to demonstrate how reading at
140 - 150 words a minute (give or take) should sound - and most of our kids
(k-4) don't need to be reading new material any faster than that (even the
exceptional ones) but should be making progress to be there by the time they
move to 5th - because that makes their life easier. (If they can read at
that rate it is much easier to get through any homework....) Time in the
classrooms is spent on reading with understanding - and everything that
makes that happen... A small amount of time is given to building fluency for
those that benefit from extra rehearsal with that skill. (I do have a title
group from 3 and 4 with a fluency focus - because that is the bit that is
holding those kids back - and I do not use a package program, but pull from
a variety of sources and activities.)  Since DIBELS added readiness skills,
we (as a group of professionals) have been tweaking the balance between
teaching the test process and identifying those that are actually missing
the skill. We have gone away from thinking of it as a OMG, if they aren't
proficient, they will always have problems reading, to thinking of it as one
snapshot of what that child was demonstrating that day with that tester.
Progress monitoring  (getting another snapshot) and/or practicing the
testing skill may be all that is needed to move that child from additional
intensive instruction... Having materials that check snapshots helps to
identify most kids in a timely fashion. But if all you do with that
information is test them again, then it is a waste of time. If you choose to
use that information to choose which kids do or don't need to spend more
time with short vowel sounds or saying words slowly or reading using all cue
sources - even punctuation - whatever, then do that - progress monitor to
see if what you are doing is making a difference - then make some more
professional decisions. You have a lot more information in your head about
that child, coupled with data from the testing - whatever it is - can give
you permission (justification if needed) to do something to help that child.
Overwhelming sometimes? Yes, but that is why I do what I do. And that is why
I am reading listservs, professional materials, talking with colleagues,
pushing back with some, supporting some, and asking for support from others.
And why I ask, quite often in fact, when is this job going to get easier? I
do appreciate the fact that I am not being forced to use a "program" for
each deficiency - and that I work with people who give and take and tweak
new ideas/suggestions - and share, share, share! We continue to look for
cost/time effective, quick and easy, provide helpful information progress
monitoring, though!!!
Beth