From: mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-boun...@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of Andrea
Pepitone
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:53 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] text structure

>>> "Andrea Pepitone" <apepi...@pps.k12.or.us> 03/15/09 9:41 AM >>>
Hi Mary,
I am also a second grade teacher and I was wondering what kind of
graphic organizer you are using for text structure? I will soon begin a
Habitat Unit and then the students will write their own bird reports. I
was wondering what your anchor chart and symbols looked like?
Thanks so much
Andrea

>>> Jane Watson <jwats...@lincolnschools.org> 03/15/09 1:26 AM >>>
What is the mirror and light bulb - I must have lost that discussion!
Jane

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM, mary mullin <laxmom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jennifer,
> I love your suggestions about using the mirror for explaining
description
> and the light bulb for cause and effect. I also teach 2nd grade and we
have
> been immersed in text structures for the past 3 weeks. For each
structure
> I've found big books that are have each structure. AS we read and
explored
> more nonfiction texts with a variety of structures my class and I
created
> an
> anchor chart with our class definition of each structure, key words
and
> symbol. We also created a body movement for each structure. This week
> students worked in pairs and coded every 2 pages(using our symbols) of
> variety of nf books and shared out their findings. Our librarian had
the
> class use the smartboard to highlight key words and then code written
> examples of each structure. This week each child will make their own
> referral chart  text structures that includes structure, definition,
key
> words, possible topics, symbol and graphic organizer. This chart will
then
> been used to help students move into researching and writing about a
topic
> of their choice.WHEW! I see my class working on this for another 2-3
weeks.
> I've had lots of help from another 2nd grade teacher and reading
teacher
> from another school in my district along with the reading teacher and
> librarian in my school.  It's an intellectual challenge to find a way
> make text structures understandable to 2nd graders. I've really
enjoyed the
> digging and reading that helped me make this all work for my class. So
> was
> thrilled to see your posting because your suggestion last month about
using
> the staircase to make biographies understandable was so helpful. I
know
> you'll have different ways to approach text structures.  mary

Jane A. Watson
Curriculum Strategist
Ruston Elementary School
200 N. Bernard St.
Ruston, La 71270
FAX # - 318.255-4728
Work # - 1.318.255.4714

This e-mail message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
and
is the property of the Board of Education of Deerfield Public School District
No. 109.
It is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not
the
intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print,
retain,
copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you
have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
all
copies of this message.