I teach third grade.  Since my students have already been exposed to text
structure, I went through my classroom books, making sure that I had examples
of each type of structure.  After direct instruction on the different models,
the children were handed books and worked in very small groups to determine
what structure the book followed.  They then had to report back to the class
and prove their choice with evidence from the text.  I threw in a book that was
a combination of fiction and non-fiction.  The kids loved the practice so we
have repeated it a few times with different books.  Through this activity, they
seemed to develop a strong sense of the different structures of non-fiction
text and they were having fun.

Leslie R. Stewart
(203)481-5386 X310  FAX (203)483-0749
lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
  ~ Dr. Seuss