To: <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 8:59 PM
Subject: [MOSAIC] Teaching strategies individually WAS Units of Study

Hi Amanda
Welcome to the list...please post often! We are glad to have you!

I think "units of study" in this context is misleading. The book Mosaic of
Thought by Ellin Keene divides up her book into chapters, one for each of the comprehension strategies...these strategies are based on proficient reader
research....so one thing that proficient readers do is make connections,
another is visualize or make mental images, etc. There are no formal "units of
study" though many people teach the strategies this way.

As for whether or not it is okay to break comprehension strategies up and
teach them individually, or if the strategies should be modeled together, this
has been debated on this list before, but it has been a while. If I am not
mistaken, research is being done on this currently. I have heard Ellin Keene, who is the author of Mosaic of Thought, and Debbie Miller, who wrote Reading
with Meaning argue that we need to  teach for depth...concentrating on a
strategy until it is internalized. They feel that it is by looking at a single
strategy over time and in great depth that we  get deeper understanding.

There are other experts who believe that reading is a holistic process and we should never give kids the idea that you use a single strategy at a time
as a proficient reader...instead, good readers are flexible and integrate
strategies.

I have been thinking a lot about this question over the years and here is
what I do now. I teach a strategy in depth...THEN I spend time modeling and helping kids articulate how ALL the strategies they have learned so far work
together to help them understand.

I think where we have to be careful is that we understand that the strategy
is NOT the end but a means to an end...deep understanding of text.
Jennifer

In a message dated 3/22/2009 8:43:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,