Many years ago, before our district compiled its own set of running record
assessments, our school used to use the Sucher-Allred Reading Assessment.  They
were short passages with 4-5 questions to ask after reading orally.  Each
question was a certain type -sequence question, main idea question, inference
question... I can't really remember the details, I haven't used it in years.
Here is a link:

http://openlibrary.org/b/OL11487526M/The-new-Sucher-Allred-reading-placement-inventory

The Sucher-Allred Group Reading Placement, used to determine the instructional
reading level for students in grades 2-12. The test correlates well with other
standard tests and is useful as an informal reading inventory.

Jan

We must view young people not as empty bottles to be filled, but as candles to
be lit. -Robert Shaffer