Hi Heather,

The draft is just a portion.  That explains the abrupt "end".

Little Bear and Frog and Toad:  I'd scroll both books, chapter by chapter.  In
other words, instead of making a single long scroll of Little Bear, I'd make
four scrolls -- one for each story.  Same idea for Frog and Toad.

Both of these books offer lots of opportunity to talk about sequence and
structure.  Of course, you can talk about these things in the book, too, but
the scroll makes it all so much more explicit.  It is much easier for the kids
to really engage and think when they can see an entire story -- and all four
stories -- right in front of them.

Little Bear:
Third story, Little Bear Goes to the Moon, can be divided into two parts (the
second part starts when he climbs to the top of the hill).  Instead of telling
your students this, you might ask them.  Let them discover the structure.  Let
them figure it out.  Having the scroll right there will make it much easier,
and helps them understand that they can answer questions by referring back to
the story and thinking about what they see.

Fourth story, Little Bear's Wish, can also be divided into two parts (the
second part starts when his mother tells him a story).  Again, ask your
students to figure out the structure.

Also, notice that in the fourth story of Little Bear, in recounting what
happens in the first three stories, the mother tells them out of sequence --
first, third, second.  It's a small point, but see if your kids catch that.  If
not, ask them to look back at the other stories.  Make them think about it!
With the scrolls in front of them, they CAN figure it out.

And then there's the larger theme: happiness.  You can talk with your kids
about the different kinds of wants/desires/wishes, and differences between what
we might want, and what "is".  This is a conversation that your students will
be able to have with the scrolls in front of them to prompt their thinking.

Days with Frog and Toad:
Similar opportunites: sequence, structure.

The first story, Tomorrow, lists the taks that Toad dreads, and then he does
them in the order that he first listed them.  Ask your students if he did them
in the order that he first thought of them.  Ask them how they can confirm
their answer.

The second story, The Kite, is another good opportunity to talk about story
structure.  It begins with a 2-page set-up (problem), then the main body in
which the problem is addressed (divides into four parts -- running + waving +
jumping + shouting), then winds up with the resolution.  You can ask your kids
to divide the main body into sections (how many?  where are they?  show me!).

The third story, Shivers, starts with a 2-page set-up, scary story in the
middle, then 1 page resolution (safe back home).

The fourth story, The Hat, starts with a 2-page set-up.  In the main body there
is a small sequence (tripped, bumped, fell) that is repeated later when they
take their second walk.  The end is a 1-page conclusion.

The fifth story, Alone, starts with a 1-page set-up (the note) which sets up a
conflict that Toad sets out to resolve by making lunch, waving his jacket,
riding on the turtle's back, and falling off the turtle.  Frog pulls him out,
and then we learn that the conflict didn't exist (Frog was happy all along).
Ends with a 1-page summary.

The point here is that these are repeating structures that your kids can find
on the scroll.  Lots to discuss, too, about what happens in the story and how
the characters feel.  The scrolls make all this so much more accessible to
young minds.

I hope that this is helpful.  Don't hesitate to call or email if you have
further questions.  And please let me know how it goes for you!

Thanks for your interest!

- Dave

Dave Middlebrook
The Textmapping Project
A resource for teachers improving reading comprehension skills instruction.
www.textmapping.org   |   Please share this site with your colleagues!
USA: (609) 771-1781
dmiddlebr...@textmapping.org