So many things to think about.
Many years ago I was fortunate in that my district sent me to Denver for a
week long workshop (PEBC) to work with Ellin and a group of teachers seeing
readers' workshop in action in the classroom.  Wow! What an experience.  I
was a 4th grade teacher at the time.

Anyway, I had been teaching the strategies, focusing on one a month.  (I was
really over-teaching the strategies.)   So, sometime around Feb., after all
the strategies had been taught and practiced, we now would apply that
knowledge as we read.  Students realized they had "favorite" strategies they
would use more often, and that sometimes the text lent itself to a certain
strategy.

I did some reflection and changed my approach.   The following years I did a
quick teaching of the strategies -what they were and how we use them.  Maybe
a week on each one.  I had charts up in the room about each strategy with
the important information and examples of that strategy from my lessons.
There also was lots of empty space left on the chart.  Then we applied what
we knew as we read, adding to our learning and going deeper in a strategy
when it was necessary, or the students were ready.  This new information was
added to the chart as we "discovered" it or it was taught.

It wasn't perfect, but it worked.  Readers use all the strategies and to
focus so long on one seemed to beat it up.
Jan