From: Felicia Barra <fcbsm...@optonline.net>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:53:08 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Do we really need to teach explicit strategies?

Joy,
I have always wanted to do this with my first graders but I sometimes have a
hard time with my non/struggling readers especially when you send them off
to read on their own.  Anyone care to explain how this would look in first
grade?

Joy posted:
Here's what I'm thinking, you start with a Read Aloud/Think Aloud. Then you
ask the students what they notice about your thinking. Ask them to define
what you are doing. Send them off to read, and conference with them
individually, being more explicit with those who need the explicit
instruction. I've noticed that frequently the students near the one I'm
conferencing with will join in the conversation, or at least listen
carefully.