They don't like busy work. They want to feel challenged without being
overwhelmed. They want teachers they perceive as experts (I found that really
interesting). They wanted teachers to acknowledge who they are, to make an
effort to know them. Mind you, this was a study done with middle school readers
(maybe high school too, don't remember), but there was this interview with one
kid who LOVED all star wrestling and he talked about how it made him feel to
have a teacher acknowledge it.

Made me connect to my experience with a little guy who had previously been
retained as a kinder and had already labeled himself as a non-learner.  I had
been at a conference in the summer and found some time to visit an aquairium
where I petted a shark. I saved my button for the first day of school.  After
two years in my classroom (looping), this kid wrote in his end of year
reflection about how he knew I was the teacher for him from the very start (he
had visited this SAME aquairium and was a shark nut) because I knew he loved
sharks from the day we met!  I have to say, I got lucky. But I also had a
principal who did not bat an eye when I came to her in September of that year
and said I needed to order $300 worth of shark books IMMEDIATELY.

The book is Reading Don't Fix No Chevys and it is a great read.  If you haven't
discovered Wilhelm and Anderson,  you may want to do some reading. ;-)

Lori Jackson
 District Literacy Coach and Mentor
 Todd County School District
 Box 87