Thanks for posting that link. I am listening now.  I am not sure how I feel
about what she is saying. First of all, she asks that we do reading on our
own and deeply reflect on metacognitive strategies we use as we read.  As I
think of what I do when I read, it is mainly three things--  go back and
re-read (when I have lost my train of thought) or sometimes break apart a
word to figure out what it means (based on its parts), and sometimes wonder
things.  I do NOT actively seek out to do things like make connections or
summarize.  I don't make a point to access my schema before I start reading.
These are all things my brain does automatically when I'm reading text at my
level.  If I were reading about something I don't know much about, say, ice
fishing, it doesn't matter how much I try to access my schema, I'm not going
to comprehend the text because I HAVE no schema.  Here's another thought: if
I had to stop reading after every page and think about making connections,
etc. I would probably hate reading.