From: Renee <phoenix...@sbcglobal.net>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:43:50 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Silent Sustained Reading

I'm glad my points felt so awesome to you. And we are all going to want to see
how this works out. :-)

Here is a little more of my thinking:  I belong to a book sharing group (which
I started, and for which I was very selective on the people involved). There
are about eight of us and we meet once a month. We all read whatever we want
and then come together to just share what we've read, whatever it is. Name a
genre and at least one of us has read and shared. What's interesting though, is
that with all the sharing of what's in the books and our impressions, we have
also branched out into discussions of politics, religion, local issues,
specific authors, death, Alzheimer's (one person in our group lost a husband to
this insidious disease and we all shared the grief from its onset to his
passing a couple of years later), food, art, ..... in other words.... you name
it. Boy, do we make connections!

What I'm thinking is that the book sharing part..... voluntary sharing.... is
so valuable and so complex and can teach so much.

I was just thinking a while ago that some of the best teaching I've done was
when I was not "teaching" at all.

:-)
Renee

On Jul 1, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Mark & Rachele' Thummel wrote:

> Renee--You make several AWESOME points--thank you!  I do need to change my
> thinking on the whole silent reading approach and see it as an advantage.  I
> guess I get frustrated with teachers who I see using that time to "get things
> done"--which is not what I have chosen to do with that time when I've given
> it in the past.   Also, I just see so many of these struggling readers
> lacking in basic comprehension skills, so I've decided in the past to replace
> that "silent reading" time with a more structured approach. Students are
> certainly doing a lot of reading in this approach, but not as much
> self-selected--which is what I want them to get "hooked" on.   Many middle
> schools have 2 periods to teaching reading and writing . . . whereas I'm
> limited to just one.  So this is an added complication to make it through my
> curriculum.  I'd love to add another class . . . but it might be a struggle.
>
> Then of course there are the students who are scrambling to find a book two
> minutes before class and reading something different every time.  So I'm
> thinking that if I restructure my approach to silent reading, I might get
> better results.  I'm planning on doing a "coffee shop" format with my 9th
> graders this year--allowing them a modified reading time.  I thought that I
> would alternate weeks--one day a week they would silent read self-selected
> materials and the next week they would share in a group with
> coffee/cocoa/cider?!  We have gender-grouped our 9th graders, so I will have
> 23 girls.  I have never taught to just one gender, but since I will be doing
> this, I thought I'd try to make it a bit "girlie".  Thank you for your ideas!

 only have 1 period to do reading and writing, I feel as though using  "reading
time" to do reading strategies is more valuable.  But I'm  interested to know
what other middle/upper level teachers are doing  about outside reading and SSR?

"Holding a grudge is like eating rat poison and then
waiting for the rat to die." ~ Anne Lamott