I just want everyone to know that it's great to see a spark in the list
traffic. We want to encourage thoughtful use of this list to improve reading
and education in general.

In the last couple days we are sending out well over 100,000 messages per
day. With the increase in list posting we also have a few problems that I
want to all members to be aware of.

1. PERSONAL RESPONSES
Please do NOT post personal responses to the list. These are things like "I
agree", "Great Idea", or any number of short, terse messages that really do
not advance any conversation. If you feel a need to post this type of
response, please send it to the INDIVIDUAL and not to the 2500+ members of
the list.

2. TRIM REPLY
Many recent posts are including the ENTIRE thread in the reply. This is
unnecessary and places an additional burden on our server. Please TRIM the
quoted previous material to include just the necessary information. This is
just a courtesy to everyone. I've noticed this can be a problem for people
using Blackberry or other handheld devices to reply. By not trimming replies
you are forcing the server to do extra work and also bothering people on
digest as they may receive more than one digest per day.

3. DIGEST REPLY
If you receive the digest PLEASE make sure that your subject line is changed
to match the content. It doesn't help our members to see a subject like
"Mosaic Digest, Vol 35, Issue 27". Members PLEASE help us by deleting any
subject with digest such as "Mosaic Digest, Vol 35, Issue 27". When you
reply to a bad subject with a digest tag, PLEASE change the subject to be
appropriate to content.

EFFECT ON MEMBERS USING FREE EMAIL ACCOUNTS (Yahoo, etc)
The increase in list traffic also has an affect on members using free emails
accounts - specifically Yahoo. When traffic increases, free email providers
decide that we are sending out SPAM and then block our messages. This
morning 50+ Yahoo members were tagged for bounces (meaning messages were not
being delivered to them). This is NOT our problem, but an issue with free
email providers and how they do business. Just be aware that when you send a
"Great Idea" reply this also can create issues for other members. So please
help Mosaic by using the list to "advance" the conversation by not posting
terse personal replies.

I'm just asking everyone to use some additional care on replying and
creating messages. It's great to see the exchange of ideas, but PLEASE try
to ensure that you are ADVANCING the conversation.

If you have a personal message PLEASE send the message to the individual and
not to the entire list.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciate by all.

Thanks,

Keith Mack
Web Administrator for Mosaic
km...@literacyworkshop.org