Sally wrote: Are there any specific strategies or activities that I can
start doing from the first day of my student teaching experience that will
motivate my students and get them excited to read?

   1. Let your own love of reading be transparent.
   2. Make sure that your students can see their success. For example, if
   the class choral reads a list of sight words every day, then start with the
   first 20 on week one. Make a big deal about allowing the next set of words
   because they practiced, learned, and now they are ready for more. Post the
   progress somewhere in the room.
   3. Another example, from the book, *Daily 5*: Assign students to practice
   the reading lesson which you just taught and be very specific about what
   that reading behavior should not look like and should look like. Time them
   and stop the entire class when just one student gets off task. When I did
   this last year, the class could practice reading on their own for two and a
   half minutes the first time that they tried it. Calmly post this on the
   board and tell them that the goal is to get up to 15 or 20 minutes. Expect
   them to progress at the rate of about one additional minute per day, so
   repeat the procedure until the class practices the reading lesson for three
   and a half minutes on day 2, praise them, post the progress and stop there.
   Soon, students are begging you to be able to read so that they can add
   minutes to their posted time. By the time that they reach 15 or 20 minutes,
   they are so proud of themselves that they are motivated to maintain that
   level of being able to stay on task while reading.