Hello, Yes - you can use the CAFE book without daily 5. The daily 5 structure
does not fit for me- I just teach students to  READ TO SELF and I use their
early lessons for teaching students to build their stamina. Cafe is not about
the choices - it is a structure for meeting students individual needs through
teacher/student reading conferences or strategy groups. CAFE stands for
Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Extend Vocabulary. There are many aspects of
CAFE that I really like and can't wait to use in my classroom. Students are
focused on their goal and what strategy they are working on. I think the neat
thing about CAFE is that you can incorporate your own state standards. A big
part is the conferencing with students with their independent reading- along
with the conference and needs based strategy groups I will also work in some
guided reading. I hope that helps - you may be able to still preview the whole
book online at the Stenhouse website - check and see...

Rosa