I think having a WIDE range of levels is very important. You are guaranteed
to have a WIDE range of readers in any given classroom. And don't forget a
nice balance between fiction and nonfiction.

As for where to get the books, yes, yard sales are great, thrift stores
usually have a few good ones, buy a handful from each book order each month
(those prices are hard to beat!), and when I first started, I bought a book
at Walmart/Target just about every time I was in the store (they usually are
under $5).  Oh, and don't forget to mention in your newsletters that you
would be more than willing to take any "donations" when parents clean off
bookshelves at home.

Finally, http://www.librarything.com is a great place to catalogue your
books.

Building your own personal library is just so much fun AND then you get to
take them all WITH you as you move about grade levels/positions/schools.
Best of luck!

This message sent from the home of
Scott and Michelle TG
www.mrstg.com