In the past I have had my 4th grade students conduct an author study on an
author of their choice. It is mostly an independent project done as
homework. We  start in January and the project concludes in June. The students
must
read 4  books written by their author to read and respond differently to,
they research  and write a short biography of their author (done in school),
write a letter to  their author (school) and then create a poster (HW)and a
short reflection  (hw) about what they've learned about their author's
craft. I use Patricia  Polacco books to model the process in school. I try to
have the responses mirror  a response that we are working on in class so they
have responded in this way  before. Last year the students wrote a character
change paper, a book review, a  poem and made a picture book for their
over the edge they are so jazzed up! We  have a celebration at the end of the
year to celebrate all their hard work! We  touch on different genres of
writing and have great discussions.
Sue

In a message dated 8/7/2009 9:10:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,