"I have used dialogue journals/letters with kids in the past and I agree with
you Sally.  Kids love them."

First, I found that the children who loved to read/loved to write, enjoyed
writing the letter to me and thought it was fun.  However, the letters
sometimes got away from me, especially when it was district testing time and I
had multiple tests to correct and post.  I felt badly when I would find a
letter with a valid question to me that I had not answered in a timely fashion
if at all.  My children who struggled with writing did not find writing the
letter to be "fun" at all.  Did you change or adapt your required letter in any
way for your less capable readers and writers?

Second, did you have a specific format for your letters?

Sally, I enjoyed your idea about kids noting their favorite books.  May I ask
what grade level you did that with?

Leslie
Grade 3 Teacher
lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us
203-481-5386, 203-483-0749 FAX

To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something beautiful,  ready
always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry.  ~
Gaston Bachelard ~