In my 7th grade challenge I start them with shorter works.  I use the Great
Books and each group of four has a different story.  For me, these are the very
top readers, many having scored 13+ in our assessments.  They need very
challenging stuff and this is just the right age to get them thinking.  The
motto of our class is "Thinking is reading" and they use interactive inquiry/
questioning as thinking (QAR)/Socratic seminar in groups similar to lit
circles.  They they proceed into the Touchstone book and we tackle articles by
all kinds of classical writers.  Their favorite is usually "The Allegory of the
Cave" because we study that by rewriting into it in the point of view of every
group.  I finish the year with the Persuasion Unit from William and Mary (I
learned about this in my gifted reading class).  This includes 4 whole books
and deep work on the nature of persuasion and change.  During the year, my
students also read a book a week (32 books--all 7th graders do this) and I slip
in mini- lessons every time I see a hintof a strategy some are struggling with
or don't know.  All assessments include checks that they have met the 7th grade
benchmarks.  Don't know if any of this helps.  This is just a different prep
for me because I also teach and co-teach all of the rest of the 7th grade
reading classes including the Second Chance Readers and the IEP kids.