Since you don't have any budget could you perhaps get a local business to
"adopt" your classroom and donate money to buy new books? We do that in my
school district and the donating business gets a letter of thanks, their name
in the school newspaper and their name on the school marquee with a big "Thank
You". business' usually donate an amount between 150.00-300.00. Maybe a local
service organization like the Rotary, Elks, Moose, Knights of Columbus etc
would be willing to hold a fundraiser for classroom sets of books or hold a
book drive where people could donate new or used books for your classroom.
Perhaps you could work out an arrangement with the local library that when they
get donations of books, they would allow you to come and pick out a few for
your classroom library.
Do you have computers in your room? There are some sites that offer online
stories for reading.
I wish you all the best.
Susan Joyce
Palm Harbor, Fl