From: mosaic-bounces+lstewart=branford.k12.ct...@literacyworkshop.org
[mosaic-bounces+lstewart=branford.k12.ct...@literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of
Heather Green [heath...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 7:26 PM
To: Mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: [MOSAIC] thought-provoking reading for 1st graders

Hi there,
Starting in December we will start breaking up into reading clubs in my
school. We'll meet for 50 minutes, 4 days a week.  The groups are
differentiated, and I have the highest group of first graders--reading
anywhere from end of 1st grade level to 4th grade+ level.

I decided that I wanted to stay away from chapter books this year because in
1st grade the focus doesn't need to be on reading chapter books. I want my
kids to be reading good quality literature that makes them think.  We don't
have many books available. I'm willing to buy some with my own money if I
will use them again and again.  So I need your help.  I am looking for books
that meet this criteria:

1) not a chapter book
2) something written at about the 2nd grade level or so (I'm thinking using
this in small groups for the kids to read themselves)
3) something thought-provoking that would spark good conversation
4) not toooo preachy and still of interest to 1st graders

Any ideas?!?