jamie.vet...@gmail.com

I'm a first year Special Education teacher in a high-need middle school in
Southeast DC. I teach three 80 minutes blocks a day of English Language Arts
to classes of about 12 students (one block is 7th grade; the other two
blocks are 8th grade.)  I do not have any aides in my classroom so my direct
instruction needs to be based in texts that are "one-size fits all," short,
low-level and engaging. My students current performance levels range from
1st grade to 6th grade. So, I need help selecting the best books to use for
short segments of whole group instruction to teach skills like elements of
plot. Ideally, the text should take no more than 5 minutes to read (we do
choral reading).  My students then take each skill and practice it through
partner/independent reading of texts leveled for appropriate rigor. They
also each get indivudalized vocabulary words/different graphic organizers
etc. I should probably also add that I do not have classroom sets of books,
so I ideally need texts with either black and white photos (better for
photocopying). My other struggle is with collecting oral data; it's
incredibly difficult to do one-on-one tell-backs or check fluency levels as
I am only one person in a room of 13 students that all want my attention...