From: "Freida Hammett" <freida_hamm...@yahoo.com>
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:43:23 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [MOSAIC] Confusing student & RTI

This child needs help and I am at a loss as to how to go
further with him. He is reading
with me on a one to one basis every day and is currently half way through the
Scott Foresman series for first grade of individual books (used for guided
reading). Here is a list of my observations so far: First grade student, second
language (been in our school for
three and a half years now and the ESOL teacher is also concerned about him),
held back in kindergarten. Doesn’t
know shorts vowel sounds and some consonant sounds (but can tell me the name of
the letter). Sometimes reads well,
sometimes doesn’t. For example,
couldn’t read the word “have” and after an interruption by another student when
reading to me, he returned to the reading and read the word correctly. On
target with DIBELS (unfortunately our only resource for reading assessment).
Long term memory problems learning
sounds unless working on something every day. Able to remember messages to give
to parents but not the
visual difference between sh and st, for example –but it seems like he is not
paying
attention to the word and assuming the next word will have the same
combination, (Observation from when working on individual words when
reinforcing a phonics lesson.)
Substitutes words that makes sense but not visually related to the word
on occasion, but then he also substitutes words that don’t make sense and are
visually related (“of” for “for” as an example). I also have the feeling that
he memorizes text by
reading it over and over (he reads the book to other students after he and I
work on it). One reason for my
thinking this is that he puts his finger over the words before he says them,
and sort of jerks his finger along the line—almost like taking a quick glance
at the word then covering it up—when he reads.

My question is what do I focus on to collect information and
how do I collect it for RTI? I
have never done an RTI and the person responsible for helping at my school has
not given any help—she seems not to know herself. The EIP teacher says she will
help but then can’t find the
time—I’m offering to help her so she can.
In the meantime, can any of you wonderful and supportive people help me
get started? Do you have any
suggestions for strategies to help him?
Questions to ask him to clarify what his approach is?

THANKS!Freida