Wow, thank you so much. I am new to this group; however, I have reviewed many
of the resources, powerpoints, and lesson ideas the past two years and am
grateful for having ran across the resources and group. Thanks so much for your
Therefore, we are in the process of implementing a "program" or model to help
with this comprehensive school reform. Leaving first grade after 6 years and
training this year for Reading Recovery to find out we will no longer use this
program of intervention for our struggling readers, I am very bummed.  I feel
that if we persue the balanced literacy we once had in place along with our
scope and sequence we may be able to make school improvement. In addition to
all this we are looking into making one of our title teachers into a literacy
coach. This is something I have wanted for a long time in order to provide
professional development opportunities to other teachers who are missing out on
all the great research and strategies that are out there! It is also scary for
the fact that I have no idea how long this position will be available due to
budget cuts and high expectations for change. With that being said, my district
is much like any other district looking into all the "things" that are out
there to improve instruction and data. Out of all the assessment tools and
instructional tools I have reviewed, I have been interested in the LLI even
though I do not promote programs! I feel that it is important to help children
think and learn; however, I often wonder why we are teaching them to do well
with a program and look at the transferability among other aspects of
life--it's not there! The LLI does seem like a better way to address reading
with actual BOOKS.

I personally am not fond of AIMSWEB or DIBELS. It seems as if those children
who read well, fail and those who don't read well...are not being measured in
"instructional ways" even though there are parts that I feel can be expanded in
the classroom as literacy instruction (cloze reading is a good strategy for
reading /predicting a reasonable word that is tricky without losing meaning).
Being a Reading Recovery teacher, I feel that the OS is a better indicator of
strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Jeana

<http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.pipes/pix/owl_t.jpg&imgrefurl=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.pipes/vector.html&h=150&w=150&sz=11&hl=en&sig2=ThfRUpfK9fHyhMx4U3qM7Q&start=19&tbnid=vG7bH0vq0lf9zM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=96&ei=ta4uReiZOqHIaMypzcoM&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dowl%2Bmascot%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D>

Jeana Wise
First Grade
Benton Elementary
jw...@marshallschools.com