From: "William Beruh" <w.be...@gmail.com>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:08:25 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] College Help

I don't know about the word "abstract" but the challenge has to be to
"translate" the "abstract" into concrete ideas and concepts he can
grasp. Writing ("translating") is reading comprehension -- being able to
identify or reproduce information in some kind of identifiable terms for the
self and the exam.
I don't visualize when I read per se, but this translation idea helped me
pass all my philosophy classes with flying colors once I discovered to do
it.
There is also the gross neglect and disdain (contempt) for rote memorization
in modern education that is annihilating a generation of students from
learning/studying certain subject matters in college.
I hope this helps your son, it helped me and I had/have struggled with
dyslexia and some kind of ld for all of my life.
The other suggestions are, of course, very good as well.
Good luck!