I realize this isn't really related to the teaching of strategies, but I need
some opinions from people who have been in my position.  I have taught fourth
grade, mostly language arts, for 12 years, and  used strategies on and off,
depending on the year, for about ten years or more, and work them in whenever
possible.  I'm the lone wolf in this situation, and my number one priority has
been to get fourth graders interested in reading again after having the "joy"
of reading killed at a previous grade level due to, my opinion, the abuse of AR
and emphasis on "points," rather than reading things of interest to the
students.  My master's degree research focused on how student choice in reading
and writing influences their academic progress. (it does, especially if they
are reading things they are interested in!) Previous to my move to fourth, I
taught 5th grade for 10 years, and did student teaching at 6th.  I really
enjoyed the older grade levels, but moved
 due to "team" issues at those grade levels.  Here is what I want opinions on:
I have an opportunity to explore a move to 7th grade language arts in a middle
school setting.  I would like to hear from others who have 1) made a move
similar to mine and their thoughts, 2) currently teach 7th grade and what are
the pros and cons, and 3) how beneficial is strategy use at this grade level.
I also have little knowledge of literature appropriate for this grade level,
although I would have what seems like a tremendous team to work with at the 6th
and 8th grade level.  You can email me off list, if needed!

Joel / OH / 4th (currently!)
hootmanmu...@yahoo.com