It can be both.  I once saw Elin Keene do an excellent lesson on synthesis with
a group of middle school students.  She read a picture book and stopped
periodically to talk with them about their thinking and how it changed based on
the new information that they acquired while hearing the story. This included
their opinions about the characters as well as changing their predictions.  In
addition, it can be taking info from more than one source in order to gain new
perspectives.   It basically involves the way your thinking evolves as you
read, allowing you to form opinions and new perceptions.