It is the picture book - THE RAFT by Jim La Marche.
----- Original Message ----- From: "PETER TURNER" <pete.tur...@rogers.com>
To: <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] lesson on inferring for k and first grade

what is the raft

----------
Sent via Rogers MobileMail

------Original Message------
From: Ron Borchert <borch...@vcn.com>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Date: Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:00:07 PM GMT-0600

For me The Raft would be the next step.  It is not as transparent for
inferring as Dear Juno.  In The Raft the question is what clues does the
author give that leads the reader think that the raft belongs to the
grandmother.  The Raft was the anchor text that my students used when they
needed to be reminded about what inferring meant.  It worked really well.

Barb
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicole Rinehardt" <rinehar...@yahoo.com>