From: "Jennifer Lyon" <jl...@itol.com>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:54:33 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] book suggestions M-Z

Bev, I'm located in Luxemburg, WI small rural town near Green Bay

What my goal is to have some good chapter books that can be used as lit
circles or guided reading depending on the teacher. The upper grade kids
like to read the chapter books more than the short reading texts.
I have been struggling with the content covered in the higher reading
levels, (I get nervous reading Among the Hidden but they love it)

The 6th grade teacher and I are also working on pulling together some texts
to use as genre studies. I am having trouble thinking of some books for my
low level students (M/N) for Mystery, historical fiction, and realistic
fiction and fantasy any suggestions would be great.
I've been spoiled this year with a class of high levels and am a little
concerned that I will meet the needs of my low readers.

Are you looking for guided reading or lit circles?

We found those high readers to be particularly troublesome because of the
maturity level of the higher level texts. We tried using the classics as
often as possible to avoid censorship problems.

Carol