Amazing!!  I hope they continue to have training opportunities and it isn't a 1
time workshop.

From: mrsjro...@aol.com
Sender: mosaic-bounces+beverleepaul=gmail....@literacyworkshop.org
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 05:53:56
To: <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: [MOSAIC] Ipod Touch in the Classroom

I first asked about the ipod touch use in the classroom a few days ago.
Here is my update. Our school applied for and received a grant that allowed
use  to purchase two mobile carts with 35 ipod touches on them as well as a
lap top  and a document camera. WE had a day of training yesterday with an
Apple rep and  we learned there are amazing things you can do with this small
device. There are  tons of resources available and we spent yesterday am
exploring many of  them.

In the afternoon we did a partner activity. This is what it looked like and
 our only tools for the research was our ipod touch.

1. Go to the San Diego Zoo website and choose a mammal
2. Use one ipod to take a picture of it.
3. Use the other partner's ipod touch to take notes that do the  following,
 a. name the animal
 b. tell where it lives
 c. tell about it's natural habitat
 d. tell about it's predators
 e. find a map of the general area where the animal lives
 f. use the ipod to drop a pin on the map to give a specific location  of a
home for the animal
 g. use the weather channel wo find the temperature in that place at  that
very minute
 h. get the average high and low temperatures for that area for the  next
10 days
4. Use additional information to compose at least two questions about your
animal.
5. As one person is taking notes on the ipod the other person is taking
pictures to accompany all notes
6. After what seemed to be a very short time, each pair had to present to
the group using a document camera to project the screens of their ipods so
that  others could see all the information that was obtained.
7. While each group was presenting their animal, the audience was required
to use their own ipod touch to take notes and be prepared to answer
questions at  the end of each presentation

It was an amazing experience and I can now see so many uses and so many
possible projects for ipod touches in my own classroom.

If you have an opportunity to get such a grant - go for it!

June