A few to consider are:
The No-Nonsense Guide to Teaching Writing by Judy Davis and Sharon Hill (This
is a great book and lays out everything you need to know to launch a successful
writing workshop).
Writing Workshop The Essential Guide by Ralph Fletcher and JoAnn Portalupi
(Another good resource)
What You Know by Heart by Katie Wood Ray (Good)
The Writing Workshop by Katie Wood Ray with Lester Laminack (Good, but long).

Now that I've listed the above books, which are fairly easy to read and give a
good overview of the writing workshop, I have to say that Calkins' is an
outstanding book.  If this is the only course on teaching writing your
pre-service teachers will get, then I would strongly encourage you to re-think
the "overwhelming" part.  They need a good, solid foundation on how to teach
writing to be prepared for the demands they will have in the classroom.

Adrienne