From: suzteac...@aol.com
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Tue, Jul 6, 2010 12:04 pm
Subject: [MOSAIC] Chapter 1 (Book Whisperer)

1) What were your first experiences as a teacher of reading?  Discuss  the

students, and situations, you encountered.

        I started teaching 1st  grade in 1985. I was given a basal reading

series and 3 reading groups, already  assigned to homogeneous grouping,

based on Kindergarten progress. The principal  that hired me, retired in

December, and I started with a brand new principal in  January. It was her
first

job as a principal and she was quite excited to send  six K and 1 teachers to

a workshop and then a graduate level course on "Whole  Language." I was then

able to branch away from using the basal and try out new  ideas.

2) What did you do in response to your first attempts at  teaching reading?

        I continued to read and  keep myself current about what was

important in teaching first graders to read.  I attended several whole language

conferences and continued to learn how  important good literature is to

teaching a love of reading.

3)  How did these first experiences, and your background as a reader, shape

who you  are as an educator today?

        I was able to prove to  myself immediately that using the basal

alone wasn't the best way to tech  reading. I was reassured about the

importance of read alouds and children's  literature as texts to use to teach

reading.

4) Open response to  the reading

        Although I was  fortunate enough to have a lot of good training,

changing grade levels and  difficult demands on teachers, made me begin to

seek help in looking for  teaching guides to make my life easier. Like Donalyn,

I would plan lesson after  lesson, to help me "teach" certain books.

Although some of these ideas have  turned out to be good activities, the "book

guides" I made, ruined the books for  the kids. I still catch myself asking the

kids to "do" too much with some of the  books they read. I guess it boils

down to the accountability factor, and trying  to be sure to meet all of the

standards, as well as prepare my students for the  tests.

Suzanne /4/NY