"'Readers without power to make their own choices are unmotivated.' (pg  23)

Reflect on your current practice.  How does this mesh with what  you
currently have in place?"

Over the last few years, I have allowed students free choice on their
independent reading book, because I didn't feel that they had much choice in
other areas - content area reading, read aloud, guided reading groups. When I
read her support of free choice, I was pleased. I am concerned, however,
because  I don't think I am very good at helping students find the perfect
book for them.  Donalyn has inspired me to do a better job of matching books to
children.

Suzanne/4th/NY