In our district the teacher gives a running record to each student and
submits the data to the principal.
Plusses and minuses for teacher or team to assess.  Teacher knows the
student as a reader instantly after the assessment, but not all teachers
administer it the same, although there was a major training 6 years ago.
Each year they are given the criteria, a reminder of how to assess, and can
watch a video of a lit coach giving the assessment.

Jan
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your
grandmother.
-Albert Einstein