We decided as a school not to use the DRAs because they were so time
consuming.  While the running record part was valuable, the comprehension
and writing section was far too long and arduous. Classroom teachers
administered it and it took away valuable instruction time.  Our curriculum
coordinator (she's fabulous) created our own streamlined running
records/reading inventory and comprehension check (and she still is making
new ones as the kids rise up through the grades) and the classroom teachers
found that it gives just as reliable information.  Plus the process is taken
out of the classroom teacher's hands so it doesn't impact instruction and is
a bit more objective.

As a classroom teacher, my colleagues and I found this process (end of the
year running record, along with a highly structured writing assessment -
also designed by our talented curriculum coordinator - and the classroom
teacher's observations) gives us a clear, snapshot of the student at the
beginning and the end of the year.