Have you used the QRI-4 (Qualitative Reading Inventory)? That has relatively
short (they do get longer though) passages. You ask questions in the beginning,
they read orally, silently or listen to it begin read - to give you different
information you may want, then there is a retell and comp.  questions. It may
do the trick, can be administered as in depth as you want and is informal. Will
give you a level of a grade - not specific to beginning, middle and end though.
Kelly AB