From: rr1...@aol.com
Sender: mosaic-bounces+janine_batzle=msn....@literacyworkshop.org
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 06:25:24
To: <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: [MOSAIC] differentiation

 I teach fourth grade and have really struggled this year with differentiation.
 Although I get the purpose of it, I am really starting to question the
practice unless the student is already identified.

Here are my reasons....
1.  If i differentiate for you, some of my students read on a 2nd grade level,
and you earn an A, how do I justify retaining you at the end of the year, if
you do not having failing grades?
2.  How do I uphold academic rigor and high expectations, and provide work for
you that is two grades below?
3.  Why are you in my 4th grade classroom if you are reading 2 grade levels
below?
4.  How can I give you second grade work and then ask you to take a fourth
grade test at the end of the year?
5.  Why must I teach from a fourth grade basal when 60% of my class is not
reading at grade level?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am trying to convince my principal to drop the basal and adopt a readers
workshop approach.

Rosie