Hi everyone.  Vocabulary help, please!

InCT, as part of our state mastery test, our gr. 3-5 students take aDRP
(Degrees of Reading Power)/cloze assessment.  They also have a 2part rdg. comp.
test with multiple choice and open -ended responses. Students have made gains
on the comp. tests, but the DRP resultsare disheartening, even for those who
hit 'mastery' on the comp.portion of the test --- and as we dug deeper it
became clearer thatperhaps thebiggest challenge was vocabulary.   We have a 90
minute language arts block, folks areusing good literature in book clubs,
guided reading and independentreading.  For the most part, our students enjoy
reading and lookforward to independent reading.  But still that vocabulary is
notgrowing -- even words like "seek" we found students weren't connectingto
"hide and seek" - not using context clues, or experience clues.

How do we raise the children's awareness ofattending to vocabulary?

We do use Isabel Beck's strategies Bringing Words to Life (which Ilove) .  We
do read aloud'sfrom quality literature and cull Tier 2 vocabulary for
discussion andfocus.  But it's not enough, and some folks feel it's too "hit
andmiss."  I hesitate to consider Wordly Wise type vocabulary lists, andlean
more towards perhaps enticing the students with the idea of Greekor Latin
morphology.

As you can see, I could really use your thoughts.  We are a K-5 school, very
small ELL population, about 600 students.

Suggestions, please!  Thanks so much.