Evelia----

I don't worry too much about definitions, but here is my philosophy and
belief:
Reading comprehension strategies (using metacognition, schema, visualizing,
asking questions, determining importance, synthesis) have to be taught right
from the beginning and they go hand in hand with the decoding strategies (look
at the picture, think about what is happening, try a word, look at the 1st
letter, etc). I teach fix up strategies throughout. Just reading the words
without comprehension is not reading.  I also think you have to build the love
of reading right from the start.  And to quote a 1st grade student:  "they go
hand in hand. You can't have one without another!)

I teach first, but when I have tutored the word callers in the upper grades, it
is HARD to teach them to think.  They can read the words, but not a clue about
what is really going on in the book---nor do they really love reading.

I frame my curriculum pacing so that I start with metacognition (I know-it's
not
a strategy, but I believe kids need to be taught to think), then move
into  schema.  I spend a few weeks on metacogntion as I work with them to build
stamina as a reader.  I use the daily 3 (read to self, read to others, listen
reading).  I'm also teaching them to decode words.  My little guys read for an
hour a day (readers' workshop). I teach them to be voracious readers.  If they
have 1 minute-read a book!  When kids have to wait inside because of the
weather
before school-I love seeing them read a book as they wait to come in.)

I would recommend you check out these books:
Comprehension:  Reading With Meaning by Debbie Miller
Comprehension from the Ground Up by Sharon Taberski
The Next Step in Guided Reading by Jan Richardson (and check out her website)
Growing Readers by Kathy Collins
Fluency by Jerry Johns

I also tie my writing and math workshops together with the strategies.  I would
recommend:
Number Sense Routines by Jessical Shumway
Math Work Stations by Debbie Diller
Laney Sammons Guided Math
Laney Sammons Math Stretches
Crafting Non Fiction by Linda Hoyt
Units of Study by Lucy Calkinsu

And to be perfectly honest-in my case at least-any book, list serve, website,
teachers website/blog, I can get my hands on because every child is different
and you never know what they might do and where to find an answer of what to
do!!!!!

I hope this helped you some.

Sandi
Elgin
N.B.C.T. 2010-Literacy (I like using this now!)