I am not getting why the classroom model wouldn't be Reading Workshop.   You
know, a mini lesson and a solid long block of reading time, and a few share
out at the end.  During that time, all children are reading at their own
independent  level in books that are "just right" for them in terms of
difficulty and interest.  Teacher is conferencing with individual children
and/or pulling together small groups for particular purposes.  And support
teachers of any kind could join the teacher in this.  How great, two or more
strong teachers just means kids get the one on one more often.  This means
children would be getting lots of reading time in just right texts which
Allington calls for and one on one or small group instruction regularly (but
not taking over the reading time).

Is the issue that most teachers are not using this model???  For me it seems
ideal.

I also don't get why regular teachers wouldn't be able to plan their
teaching in other content areas to meet the needs of children reading
behind.  Can set up the essential questions to explore and children can
individually, in pairs, or small groups use different text(s) to explore,
bringing their findings back to the whole group. And projects can be
differentiated easily.  Use tic tac toes or menus for example for choices of
how to do "work" and "presentations."  Also teachers can use their SDAIE
strategies to teach not only ELLs but struggling readers as well.

Guess I'm wondering if all those approaches went by the way side with the
adoption of whole class basals and teaching???

Hmmm.  Or is there just no freedom out there now?  I know I can answer that
that is true - I've seen it.  But this should be something I hope we're
working back towards!!!

Sally