And how sad it is to see the wholesale adoption of whole class direct instruction and what that does to motivation. I've always known exactly that when speaking of students, but I guess I really didn't know how much that would also be true for teachers. It's a heartbreak.

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
From: Sally Thomas <sally.thom...@verizon.net>
To: mosaic listserve <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thu, Jul 21, 2011 02:38:18 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] adding instruction for remedial...

I don't usually talk about a HUGE part of my research over the years -
motivation research.  With my colleague Oldfather (who originally researched
my 5/6 grade class) , we researched my last class of 5/6 graders through
high school about their motivations for learning.  They were co -researchers
int hat work and presented with us and wrote with us through the years at
IRA and NCTE and National Reading Conference and American Education Research
Association.

I can reference a number of articles  Oldfather, I and both of us together
wrote over those years, some with kids as co-authors.  That research might
crank your heads around as it did mine!!!!

Mostly I would say that I strongly believe in classrooms which respect and
value all students, where they ALL have important contributions to make,
where the get that they each have different strengths and needs and that
together we are all teachers, that the point is learning not competition and
grades.  The intrinsic motivation research totally supports all this AS DID
THE KIDS!!!

So I would want all my students to be there in class with varying degrees of
support at different times of course.  They ALL need to be part of the
community and that has to be real, not fake.  That's why I believe sooooo
strongly in workshop approaches.

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to learn how to teach int his
environment toward the end of that first 27 years in classrooms - the last 4
years in a multiage, progressive classroom.  That's where I first learned to
use the Learning Record and narrative approaches to assessment as well -
which are also key to intrinsic motivation.

Enough said, sorry if I"m preaching.  I just believe so strongly.  And those
kids would all tell you all of this now too.....

Sally

On 7/18/11 3:16 PM, "Sue and Paul Therrien" <sptherr...@sbcglobal.net>