Your point is well-taken, however I think that many teachers start the year
with fiction for good reason.  It's a familiar format for young children and
also engaging on a larger scale (many different focuses for many different
children).  You are able to integrate into several areas and good fictional
selections lend themselves to extensions and integrations into other content
areas in a natural and authentic manner (non-fiction integrates very easily as
well, but ends to be topic specific.....if a student isn't interested in the
topic we sometimes lose them until they build the capacity later in the year to
stick with text that might be less engaging to them).  At our elementary
school  we are about 50-50 (fiction/non-fiction) at K-2 and about 40-50 at 3-5
(more non-fiction).
 I think most teachers are in "September mode" and thinking about read alouds
to begin the year as they are responding.  I personally like to engage kids in
critical thinking and problem solving, get the brains restarted, and work on
engagement.  While I agree that non-fiction is vital to a balanced approach in
reading, non-fiction also requires a lot of text specific teaching.   The
content is also very concentrated/ topic specific, therefore limiting us in our
ability to target the interests of the entire class (which I think is very
important for your first read aloud).  If you are looking for a list of really
great non-fiction books.....I bet with our collective backgrounds we could
provide an extensive list.  I think people are responding to what they might
pull out as one of their first read alouds...that could be a great piece of
non-fiction as well don't get me wrong, however just because many individuals
are tossing out fictional titles
 to begin the year.....please don't assume that is our focus for the year and
non-fiction is ignored.  In fact....I've ordered nothing but non-fiction to
supplement our classroom libraries for the past two years.