Each of Allington's books and articles are worth their weight in gold.  If I
were recommending I'd choose these 3 in this order:
!.  What Really Matters in Response to Intervention:  Research-based Designs
2. What Really Matters for Struggling Readers:  Designing Research-based
Programs
3.  No Quick Fix

If you can borrow No Quick Fix, I'd say it's great and would be a good one
to read.  If you are purchasing one I'd recommend the books as I've listed
above.

--
"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and
don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the