This sounds like the old tracking ability model. If you google that, lots of articles come up. Guided reading may or may not be specifically addressed. But GR groupings are meant to be flexible so how would that work if they are tracked? And my gut feeling is this is bad for kids who have no other experiences for working with students at different "levels". For example, low readers will have few peer role models in class. My personal experience to your research.