Try the Bluford Series by Townsend Press.  They are quite reasonably priced and
my students, both boys and girls, love them!

Josephine T. Ringer MEd
SGA Instructor
C. C. Blaney Elementary School
7184 Highway 162
Yonges Island, SC 29449
(843) 889-3992 school
>>> "Stacey McDonald" <s...@nycap.rr.com> 09/26/11 9:04 PM >>>
Perhaps Cris Tovani could help but I'm hoping you can too.

I need to get my hands on a list of books (or online resource) designed to
engage boys who are 11 or 12 years old but test at a reading level of a 3rd
or 4th grader.  Clearly the Cam Jensen and Horrible Harry series don't work
because the kids would not only be ashamed to carry these books but the
books feature protagonists who are themselves in 2nd or 3rd grades - so
there's no connection.

The ORCA books are usually a great fit for my low 6th graders but this year,
the 15:1 kids exiting from 5th grade have been mainstreamed into my 6th
grade reading class.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stacey McDonald

Team 6-1 Reading Teacher