Hate to sound snarky but shouldn't the administration be able to describe
what they mean by appropriate persuasive and analytical for these age
levels?  And also tell you why?  Just bugs the heck out of me when people
throw out ideas which they often don't know anything about.

That said, I would think about the kinds of things kids would be interested
in persuading people about and go from there.  Find mentor texts.  An
example that we used at our school: every year kids have the opportunity to
vote for the California Young Readers Medal.  They are given 3 books at
primary, intermediate etc. to choose from.  They have to have read
(individually or as class) each book to vote.  We had our students write
persuasive essays (we actually used letters) to convince others of their
choice.  It was great.(My kids read samples of persuasive texts and came up
with a rubric.  I taught 5/6. Isn't there a great picture book where a child
tries to persuad his mother to get a certain kind of pet?  (I forget the
title but it was a good one!)

I would check James Moffett's classic work on genres and writing - the kinds
of authentic writing we do in the world and connected to developmental
levels.  I know we spent many years on the state language arts assessment
committee in California exploring the kinds of writing that it was
appropriate to assess and how to formulate authentic type tasks and so on.
Moffet's work informed some of the decisions about the types of writing to
assess at various levels.    We found for example that when we tried to
assess information type writing, most of what we got was pretty bad writing
- stiff and boring.  And kids who didn't have background on whatever the
topic (which happens in testing situations often) were especially
disadvantaged.  I am disgusted by much of what goes for writing assessment
currently.  We've lost sooooo much ground in writing over the last more than
decade.

In short, I am not against persuasive or analytic as long as the writing
experience is authentic and meaningful to children's lives.  Be careful.
Calkins work (along with the great teachers who helped her) is probably most
meaningful to developing students as writers for the long run.  Just IMOl!!!
Sally