I think that perhaps we need to find the right poetry...and what is
right...what kids connect with, requires one to know his or her kids very well.
Listening and reflecting upon what students say is so key...

In addition, so many of us as teachers did not have positive experiences with
poetry so it is hard for us to model enjoyment when we don't (or didn't) enjoy
it.

I love the idea of immersion...it gives me the image of bathing in
words...soaking them in...taking time to thoughtfully derive our personal
meaning from them. What sticks with me here are the ideas of trust...and time.
Time to let kids experience, think, question... and then trust that they will
find their way. So hard to do that when the environment we teach in is so
rushed...

Jennifer L. Palmer

Instructional Facilitator

National Board Certified Teacher